Smothered Chicken with Chilau Gumbo. This was one of those quick meals that I created on the spot. I had limited ingredients but enough to create some of the best chicken I’ve ever tasted. I had two left over bottles of Gumbo sitting in the fridge so I used those as the base flavor.
I needed something low carb, so I served it over cauliflower rice. I finally have my cast iron pan seasoned just right and I’ve been using it more often!
The base is pretty much equal parts Chilau/Cream/Stock
- Chilau Gumbo (Citrus or Original are options)
- Chicken Broth/Stock
- Heavy Cream
- Original and Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- lemon juice
- Ghee (clarified butter) or butter
- 6 Boneless thighs
- Season Chicken on both sides with a light sprinkle of Chilau Garlic Pepper and Original Seasonjng.
- Bring pan to medium-high heat, add ghee/butter and sear chicken on both sides (3min each side)
- Add chicken broth/stock 1st to deglaze pan
- Add Chilau, Cream, splash of lemon juice and bring to a simmer
- Mix base until incorporated
- Let simmer until base reduces and thickens to your preference.
- Done when thickest part of chicken reaches internal temp of 160°
Serve over rice or cauliflower rice.